Retailer Frequently Asked Questions
Change of Ownership / Change on Lottery License
You MUST tell the Lottery BEFORE making changes to:
- The business structure of a business, such as from a sole proprietorship to a corporation.
- The name of business.
- A retail outlet’s physical address if it is different than the address listed on the Lottery license.
- The ownership listed on the license.
We define a change of ownership as the transfer of majority ownership in the licensed business from or to another single individual or legal entity.
Your legal authority to sell Maryland Lottery products ends on the effective date of the sale of your retail location and/or your business or on the date you move the retail outlet to another physical address. Failure to notify the Lottery may negatively impact your ability to sell Lottery products in the future and may affect Lottery retailer licenses you may hold for other retail outlets.
You must fill out an application on the Retailer Portal that reflects the change and supply any other documentation that the Lottery may require. The Lottery will review all changes to determine whether to continue the existing license.
Click on Applications (top of the page) and sign into your account or create an account. Click on New Application. When a new screen comes up, click on the box on the right and select the Change of Business Structure application. If unsure of the application type, please call 410-230-8720.
You must fill out information on the Retailer Portal. Click Applications (top of the page) and sign into your account or create an account. Click on New Application. When a new screen comes up, select the box on the right and choose the Change of Name application. If unsure of the application type, please call 410-230-8720.
No. State law does not allow you to transfer your license. The prospective owners must apply to become Lottery retailers. Your legal authority to sell Maryland Lottery products ends on the effective date of the sale of your retail location and/or your business or on the date you move the retail outlet to another physical address.
Prospective retailers must go to the Applications link at the top of this page and create an account. Click on New Application, select the box on the right and choose the Change of Ownership application. Complete the application.
- New owners of multiple locations under one legal entity must complete a corporate application as well as an application for each location. Lottery licenses are unique to each location.
- New owners of a single location under one legal entity are required to complete an application. Click on New Application, select the box on the left and choose the Independent Location application. Complete the application.
Bank Account Change
Adding a Location
- Corporate locations (grocery store chains, convenience store chains): Contact James Young at 410-230-8664.
- Independent locations (if you have a legal interest in more than one location): Contact Zina Howard at 410-230-8908.
Reasons for Licensing Action / Suspension
- Selling a ticket at a price greater than that authorized by the Lottery.
- Selling a ticket to a person under 18 years of age. Learn more about Responsible Play HERE.
- Transferring ticket stock without consent of the Lottery.
- Selling tickets at an unauthorized location (not licensed).
- Making material misrepresentation on an applicant’s application for licensure.
- Failure to properly notify, report or settle accounts with the Lottery.
- Failure to inform the Lottery of the addition of new owners or a sale of all or a portion of your business.